£150,000 – £250,000 p.a. based on full time contract. This includes a substantial bonus based on personal and business performance.
Outline of Work Responsibilities
Cardinal Clinic receives around 20 new referrals each week across our adult and CAMHS services. We average around 15 in-patients per night. This caseload generates around 20,000 outpatient consultations each year.
Each patient is assigned a named consultant psychiatrist who is responsible for their care throughout their journey with Cardinal Clinic. The psychiatrist will be responsible for agreeing a care plan with the patient which may include referral to one of our team of therapists or clinical psychologists. That care may be delivered in an out-patient setting, through the day care team or as an in-patient.
We expect all our psychiatrists to have responsibility for patients across all three services and to lead the care of that patient through the multi-disciplinary team.
Each consultant will have the support of a dedicated administrator who will liaise with patients and undertake such administrative tasks as are appropriate to ensure the highest possible standards of patient care.
Our consultant psychiatrists are supported by a junior doctor on the in-patient service. The junior doctor will be responsible for daily ward rounds and for providing support to the nursing team.
Patient Contact Expectations
We welcome applications for people seeking both full-time and part-time work patterns.
We expect our consultant psychiatrists to work a variety of shift patterns including at least one shift each week that encompasses an evening surgery for out-patients. We expect them to manage the following level of patient responsibility per programmed activity (four-hour period):
Out-Patient Consultations: 4 Consultations (one initial assessment, three follow-ups)
In-Patient Nights: 14 Nights
Day Care Sessions: 16 Sessions
We expect our consultant psychiatrists to provide care of an extremely high quality. We undertake regular performance reviews to ensure our standards are being maintained. These performance reviews are based on 360-degree feedback from our nursing team, from patient reviews received on our I Want Great Care platform, on compliance with our procedures and on outcome measurements of patient’s progress.
Other Responsibilities and Expectations
- To maintain their own continuing professional development (CPD) obligations as outlined by the Royal College of Psychiatrists and to support colleagues with mentoring and training, as required.
- To contribute to the operational and strategic management of Cardinal Clinic through the clinical governance and management frameworks. These may include formal management positions, where appropriate.
- To contribute to improving standards of clinical care through participation in clinical audit and quality improvement activities.
- To participate in annual appraisal and job planning processes.
- To participate in continuing medical education events and undertake statutory and mandatory training programmes.
- To participate in initiatives to improve models of mental healthcare with input into plans, collection of clinical data from existing patients and reviewing outcomes for efficacy.
- To be approved as a Responsible Clinician or be willing to undertake training to obtain Section 12(2) MHA and to renew this approval according to agreed procedures.
Full Job Description
For the full job description of this role, please click here: Consultant Psychiatrist Job Description